The Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant is a nuclear power plant located in the town of Okuma in the Futaba District of Fukushima Prefecture. With 8 separate units located on site, Fukushima I is one of the largest nuclear plants in the world. Fukushima I is the first nuclear plant to be constructed and run entirely by the The Tokyo Electric Power Company.

Unit Type First Criticality Electric Power
Fukushima I - 1 BWR March 26, 1971 460 MW
Fukushima I - 2 BWR July 18, 1974 784 MW
Fukushima I - 3 BWR March 27, 1976 784 MW
Fukushima I - 4 BWR October 12, 1978 784 MW
Fukushima I - 5 BWR April 18, 1978 784 MW
Fukushima I - 6 BWR October 24, 1979 1100 MW
Fukushima I - 7 (planned) ABWR October, 2013 1380 MW
Fukushima I - 8 (planned) ABWR October, 2014 1380 MW

Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant
The Fukushima 1 NPP
The Fukushima 1 NPP
Country Japan
Operator Tokyo Electric Power Company
Built 1966
Start of commercial operation March 26, 1971
Reactors active 6 (4,696 MW)
Reactors planned 2 (2,760 MW)
Total power generation in 2006 25,806 GW·h
Average annual generation (last 5 yrs) 21,436 GW·h
Net generation 781,594 GW·h
Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant after Earthquake 2011
The radiation level is rising in the building housing a turbine of the No. 1 reactor of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant following Friday's powerful earthquake, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Saturday.

The company also said monitoring data suggested the air pressure level has also soared inside the container of the reactor.

Under Japanese law, a nuclear emergency must be declared if there is a release of radiation, if there is a dangerous level of water in the reactor, or if the cooling mechanisms fail. Japan declared a state of atomic power emergency instructing around 3,000 residents near a reactor in Fukushima Prefecture to evacuate. The evacuation advisory was issued for people living within a 3-kilometer radius of the plant, affecting approximately 5800 residents living near the power plant, while those living within a 10 kilometers radius were requested to stay home.

At 16:30 JST (7:30 GMT) on March 12, there was an explosion at the Fukushima I plant.

Early on March 13, an official of the Japan Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told a news conference that the emergency cooling system of Unit 3 had failed, spurring an urgent search for a means to supply cooling water to the reactor vessel in order to prevent a meltdown of its reactor core.

At 7:30 JST, TEPCO prepared to release radioactive steam, indicating that "the amount of radiation to be released would be small and not of a level that would affect human health".

At 12:33 JST on March 13, it was reported that Secretary Edano said "it was 'highly possible' a partial meltdown was underway" in Unit 3. The six other active Fukushima 1 and 2 reactors would be venting radioactive gas to reduce pressure. The Post blamed the hydrogen explosion in Unit 1 on the lack of electrical power to the plant, which disabled a safety device that ignites hydrogen gas before it builds to a dangerous level.

Radiation at the Fukushima No. 1 plant has risen to 882 micro sievert, compared with the legal limit of 500, said Tokyo Electric Power Co.(TEPOC), operator and owner of the Fukushima plants, on Sunday.

At an emergency press conference, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said that the radiation has briefly jumped to 1,204 micro sievert at the plant.

He said that fresh water has been injected into No. 3 reactor of the plant and radiation at the reactor was small and under control.

Earlier in the day, the TEPOC reported the reactor lost its ability to cool the reactor core.

It was the sixth reactor that lost the function after No. 1 and No. 2 reactors at the No. 1 plant and No.1, No.2 and No.4 at the No.2 plant had suffered the same trouble.

Fukushima I Nuclear Reactor Accidents

Related Post